20050727

Man donates blood for record 350th time

An elderly South African broke his own Guinness world record Tuesday when he donated blood for the 350th time, inspired by the enduring memory of a terrible accident he witnessed as a child.

The South African National Blood Service said in a statement that 79-year-old Maurice Creswick had cracked his own record for the fourteenth time and that he donated 480 ml of his blood every 56 days.

"When I was 11-years-old I witnessed a horrific accident when a tram smashed into a motor vehicle," Creswick was quoted as saying.

"Five passengers were critically injured. I decided then to never just stand by and do nothing if there was a way to help others in a time of need," he said.

South Africa has some of the world's most dangerous roads and sky-high rates of violent crime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man donates blood for record 350th time

Hey yo, you have a pretty good blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a blog. It pretty much covers
related stuff.

Come and check out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Man donates blood for record 350th time

Hey yo, you have a pretty good blog here! I'm definitely bookmarking you!

I have a Saratoga Spas blog. It pretty much covers
bridgend news related stuff.

Come and check out bridgend news if you get time :-)